The dahlias have indeed succumbed to the light frost we had in west London last week and so it was time on Sunday to lift and store the tubers.
I’ve tried the Monty storage method but I ended up with Quatermass-worthy monsters.
So I have developed an alternative method that works for me with the resources I have available.
I’ve cleared the main bed in the polytunnel and placed the lifted, mostly cleaned tubers in the bed and covered loosely with soil. I won’t water until the Spring and they’ll be happy until then.
I need to trim down the stalks but then I’ll leave them alone until March when the bed will be back in action with cucumbers and tomato prep, so they’ll go into large pots for the hardening off hokey-cokey.
Living further North, we lift ours and store in the shed.. A polly tunnel an excellent place to keep the frost off them.. We love our Dahlia’s 🙂 Wishing you well