But that’s it now; this is definitely the perfect spot for the compost bins.

Why move them at all I hear you ask?  Well, itchy fingers means a girl needs a winter project and the tape measure tells me that the space I’ve created is just the right shape to move the polytunnel from Park Road.  That will give me additional growing space for the crystanths and dahlias.

The dumpy bag in the picture is full of old turf still in the process of turning into loam – today’s proddings with the fork has left me unimpressed; it looks like stony soil to me.

I filled a builders dumpy bag with processed compost, so about a tonne.  I have one bay filled with half cooked compost.  I’m impressed with the speed to decomposition; the bottom layer of the bin is less than 4 months old.  The worms were still busy working away at the half-cooked mix and seemed happy with their new location.

The other benefit of processing the compost is that I’ve space to clear out the annuals.  As it got dark this afternoon (sob) the middle bay was half full with cosmos and sunflowers – next year’s compost.  This cycle of life still amazes me.

Here’s a quick recap of the journey the compost bins have made around the plot:

This is the first location – the site chosen because the area was the only space cleared and dug.

compost-bins

This was the previous tenants compost pile.  It yielded surprisingly good compost and about 3 bin bags of plastic.

plastic mound

Then it occurred to me that swinging the bins by 90 degrees would make better use of space, so that’s what happened in October 2016

img_2161
Swung round 90degrees with hard-standing space wide enough to turn a wheelbarrow

Then the greenhouse went up and I realised I was in need of a sunny spot for the blueberries and fruit cage.  I also realised I had a lot of unused space at the rear of the plot…

Every time I’ve moved the bins, the resulting build has been stronger and closer to level – practice really does make perfect!

Advertisements