This is another idea swiped from Pinterest and my second attempt to get in right! The first attempt relied just on the batten and once loaded with 16 plants wasn’t strong enough. The second version has a support in the middle with a wider plank behind to provide support for the whole bottle.
The strawberries were donated by another plotholder; the variety long forgotten so I’ve named them Alan!
I’ve used 4 pint milk bottles cut in half, using the top half with the handle. I’ve drilled a hole the screw cap and then tun a roofing batten through the handles to create the row. Just waiting for 5 more bottles and I’ll have 36 vertical strawberry plants in the polytunnel.
I used MPC with added John Innes, added some sharp sand for drainage and fish, blood and bone for feed.