I moved the compost bins for the third time today! I know, I can’t quite believe it either but I need a sunny spot for the blueberries so the compost had to move.
These bins have been running since March 2016, used initially to store the compost I had sieved out of the ‘mound’ How is it that most derelict plots have a mound or two?
Another bay was filled mostly with the grass, straw and green annual weeds and it was this I turned out yesterday. Once sieved it made a fabulous mulch for the raspberries, roses and pear trees. It covered 5 4×10 beds to a depth of 1 or 2 inches. Not at all bad.
I bought the sieve tray from an Ebay seller, it works really well at containing the compost as I moved it back and forth; the graded grains fall into the wheelbarrow and the lumps go back into the bin for a bit more cooking.
Today was moving the compost bin from its current position by the greenhouse and re-locating to the back of the plot. There was another bay of half cooked compost, full of worms, to be moved. I built one bay, then transferred the material giving it a really thorough turn in the process! I was impressed at how much decomposition had taken place in less than 6 months.
The whole transfer took about three hours. I’m satisfied that on the third attempt at building a three bay bin, I’ve finally achieved a sturdy and level(ish) finish. It’s not moving any more!
Fruit cage construction next – oh wait, that’ll be after I’ve built the polytunnel doors.
I’m so ready for the building to stop and the growing to start!
Have a good week everyone.